About Me

My photo
Since 2005, and over 800 entries, the orginal purpose of this BLOG has never changed. I consider it to be a personal letter from me to my extended family of fans, supporters, and friends. I ALWAYS encourage your emails, comments, suggestions, and questions. Be Blessed! ~Percy

Friday, January 21, 2005

MARDI GRAS !



A photo that I took from one of last year's Mardi Gras Parades.


Tonight, Mobile's 2005 Mardi Gras season begins in earnest, as the first big parade rolls through the streets of downtown. Without a doubt, Mardi Gras has to be one of the top five reasons why I cherish my hometown. Many don't realize that Mardi Gras actually began here in Mobile in 1703. New Orleans is only about 120 miles west of here, but the city is much larger, so naturally their parades are more famous. However, there's nothing like the safe, entertaining, Mardi Gras events right here at home in the Port City of Mobile.

You can read more about Mobile's Mardi Gras; including it's history, timeline, and parade schedules, by simply clicking on this link:
MOBILE ALABAMA'S MARDI GRAS

Most Mobile natives have their favorite spots along the parade routes to stand. Many families have occupied the same spot for generations. Our favorite place was taken over last year by the construction of the new downtown RSA tower, which will become the tallest building in The State of Alabama. So, I had to scout a couple of new locations, and finally found one that our family and friends can find easily, and safely enjoy the Mardi Gras events.

I am religious about getting to our spot no later than an hour before the parades begin. We put our folding chairs along the barricade, and settle in with my old buddy Jack Daniels. Since my gastric bypass surgery, Jack and I don't get to visit too often. However, Mardi Gras is certainly an exception. The weatherman says it will be in the 50's at parade time tonight, with clear skies. It's not even noon, and I'm like a kid on Christmas eve!

So... for the next two weeks I will probably bore you with a bunch of Mardi Gras talk, mixed in with my usual ramblings. Mardi Gras day is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. This year it comes quite early, on February 8th.




Another photo that I took at last year's Mardi Gras.


Until Next Time!
Happy Mardi Gras, my friends!

~Percy
http://www.percypringle.com/