About Me

My photo
Since 2005, and over 800 entries, the orginal purpose of this BLOG has never changed. I consider it to be a personal letter from me to my extended family of fans, supporters, and friends. I ALWAYS encourage your emails, comments, suggestions, and questions. Be Blessed! ~Percy

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Playboy" Buddy Rose passes away...

Sadly I must report that former Pringle Dynasty member "Playboy Buddy Rose" (real name - Paul Perschmann) was found dead by his wife on Tuesday afternoon, April 28th.

I first met and managed Buddy in the Florida Championship Wrestling territory in 1985. The photo above is myself, Buddy, and "Ravishing" Rick Rude, taken during those days.

Like myself, Buddy always battled a weight problem, and had been dealing with diabetic issues in recent years.

Buddy originally broke into the business in the old Verne Gagne AWA, having been trained by Gagne and famed shooter Billy Robinson. He went on to become a true star heel for Don Owens' Portland Wrestling. Roddy Piper credited Buddy in his 2002 autobiography for helping put him on the map in the Portland area, providing him a forum to develop his interview skills and become a true main eventer. Piper said in the book that Buddy invited him to come work the territory. Piper initially turned him down as he had been working regularly in Los Angeles, then reconsidered and took the job, setting him off to stardom.

Several wrestling internet news websites are reporting this morning that Buddy worked for the WWF at different points in his career. He was pushed as a top heel at one point in the late 1970s, including a series of matches against then-WWF champion Bob Backlund. Rose also wrestled on the first Wrestlemania event as the masked Executioner, losing to Tito Santana in the opening contest. Buddy's final run with WWF was as an undercard comedy heel who was out of shape, setting the stage for the infamous "Blowaway Diet" vignettes. During that run, he mostly worked comedic opening matches on house show, playing off his weight by doing jumping jacks and other exercises while on offense. The vignettes were so silly they ended up becoming memorable among fans.

He also held the AWA World Tag Team championships with Doug Somers in 1986, defeating Scott Hall and the late Curt Hennig. They later dropped the belts to the then-Midnight Rockers, Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty. Buddy was once married to another former Pringle Dynasty mainstay, "Maniac" Matt Borne's sister. I understand that Buddy's last match took place at the first WrestleReunion convention event in Tampa, Florida in January 2005.

I last heard from Buddy shortly after my wife Dianna passed away. I always enjoyed his friendship, and especially his many stories from his years in our industry. I pray that my friend will rest in peace in the arms of our Saving Lord.



Be Blessed.
~Percy
www.PercyPringle.com